Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Chit Chat Lounge Revisited

On Tuesday, March 8th we all decided to go up to the open mic at the Chit Chat Lounge in Haverhill. Its a really nice place with a chill atmosphere and a great staff. The host of the open mic, the bartenders and the patrons were all very gracious and kind. Not only did Fiddlehead and I show up to play, but another of our local favorites, Absylum, also decided to join the party.

The host played with a drummer and did some good covers, my favorite being his very different version of "Billy Jean". He made me feel not so bad for basically being a lone guitar player up on stage. I got up after the host and did an open call for anyone to jump up and jam with me. Mike Strakus of Fiddlehead and Justin Lopes from Absylum came up and played a couple good time favorites with me and it went surprisingly well.

After I played, Absylum got up there and did their thing. I had heard them practicing earlier in the day and they sounded awesome. Justin Lopes can really rip some keys and during some parts I almost felt like I was in church. MJ Sands is an excellent drummer and keeps the beat so precisely while maintaining flexibility. Absylum has a lot of cool original songs and their bass and sax players are great additions to the band. Definitely expect to see more of these guys soon!

They decided to leave the best for last as Fiddlehead took the stage around midnight. Opening up with "Baby Monster" they all sounded pretty good despite there being a bit of tension in the band earlier in the evening. I personally thought the highlight of their set was Pat Nelson using the host's all white Stratocaster after breaking a string on his Parker. He made the thing sound almost like a fiddle on a bluegrass jam.

For an open mic night I think it was a great show all around. Good practice for everyone who played and a fun time for those who didn't. I was impressed by the amount of professionalism at the Chit Chat for an open mic. Fiddlehead is playing again tomorrow night (March 10th) at Penuche's Ale House in Portsmouth NH. It starts at 8:30 and there is a $3 cover. They are being presented by Jamantics who I assume they will be opening for. In other news, here's a cool poster by Desirae Hudson:

No comments:

Post a Comment