Saturday, May 14, 2011

I Get My Thrill...On Ole Haverhill!

The Chit Chat Lounge was a happening spot again tonight as Absylum and Fiddlehead again brought their ole fashioned medicine show. Tonight the biggest factor I feel was the absence of the lights. I guess Felipe ran lights at another spot tonight, diversifying the portfolio. The mix sounds pretty good tonight and luckily there is a sound guy. Another highlight of the evening is checking out the upstairs where some kind of acoustic act is playing simultaneously. Haverhill is becoming a more and more happening spot and I really like the area.

Absylum sounds solid tonight, with MJ Sands setting the pace of the roller coaster. Sean McCormick is as energetic as ever on the bass and as a partial front man. Justin Lopes is a key-monster as always, but not only that, he gets up and sings. Overall their set is pretty tight and I really like the guitar parts as well. Overall the band has great timing and their stops are impeccable. Justin takes us all to church tonight with his intense organ playing. Their "Cool Whip" is awesome tonight. I can't wait to see what this band becomes in the future!

Fiddlehead is right on point with a well balanced start. Unfortunately I wasn't able to stay for the entire night, but they play an excellent "Baby Monster". Kevin's bass seems a little more reserved tonight but very tight. Tim Johnson's drumming is spot on and very snappy. Pat and Mike's solos weave the whole thing together in a spectacular sonic soup. These guys are gearing up for a huge summer complete with festivals and jibrolicky. I think that really soon it is all going to come together and its going to be absolutely huge.

I'm not sure if anyone even reads this stuff but just in case, I am going to drop some shameless self-promotion for the sake of feeding the hungry. I am having a show on May, 20th at the Walnut Street Cafe in Lynn including some different acoustic performers, poetry and more. Apparently some people think that the biblical rapture will be on May 21st, so this is a Pre-Biblical Apocalypse Party. Its also going to be a food drive in case we survive. The food will be going to the Cape Ann Food Pantry and split with Lynn if they have some kind of a local food charity. If you can't make it out, please at least donate a can of food to your local food charity.

Fiddlehead will be returning to the Chit Chat on May 27th, they also have some festivals coming up. check back on their Facebook page to get more information. I will try to post what I can when I get more info. Its definitely going to be an excellent summer for the jam band scene and the local music scenes in general. Please support local music and local musicians, don't let live local music become a thing of the past and be replaced by DJ's and karaoke!

Here is a picture from Dodge Street on April 3rd:

No comments:

Post a Comment